Welcome Guest!
 wtr-s
RE: purpose reminder  Dana Visalli
 Aug 19, 2008 20:20 PDT

Good reminder Robert. It also reminds me to pass on my recent short story
of my taxing relationship with the so-called US government. I started
'resisting' in about 1990, paying half of my taxes, putting the other half
in an escrow account. About 8 years ago I stopped filing--I just don't do
forms well. I make something like $15-18,000 a year and half of that is now
from farmer's market and other invisible sources. I also work as a
contracting botanist for the Forest Service and other official entities, and
have had the touching experience of having both the local Forest Service
office and one of my banks help me conceal income from the criminals that
run the country (that would be the aforementioned US government).

I recently had a $2400 payment processed through the central USFS payment
center in Albuquerque. To the credit of their 'smart' computers, they caught
the name and subtracted $400 from the total against money they say I owe
them. What is interesting to me is that they don't take it all; this is
truly the land of justice! This happened once before with a $3700 payment,
which they took $500 of. In both cases I was delighted to get the larger
portion. With the $400 they took this time they said they were going to
load up a white phosphorus bomb to burn the skin off an Iraqi child. Sorry
kid, I tried.

They sent the remainder to an ancient account number of mine that they had
liened, drained and closed about 8 years ago. They weren't too sharp on
that move. The bank phoned me and said they would write me a cashier's
check but I should straighten up my account numbers with the feds.

The bottom line is, it is so stunning how obedient we are as human beings,
without even thinking about it. Why would we pay for the death of all these
beautiful human beings around the world, slaughtered by the US government?
I think it is because we are not fully formed yet, we have not emerged into
our full human potential. So we are ruled by fear. I find that Americans
are so afraid of their own government that they take it completely for
granted, like their next breath of air or the next beat of their heart. I
now consider it an important evolutionary step to walk through that
invisible barrier to a more meaningful life.

Dana Visalli

Here is a short quote from 'The Politics of Obedience: A Discourse on
Voluntary Servitude', written by Etienne De La Boetie in 1550. The book can
be found online, although I find this intro to the essay to be even better:
www.lewrockwell.com/rothbard/rothbard29.html

"Every tyranny must necessarily be grounded upon general popular acceptance.
In short, the bulk of the people themselves, for whatever reason, acquiesce
in their own subjection. The central problem of political theory: why in
the world do people consent to their own enslavement? The mystery of civil
obedience: why do people, in all times and places, obey the commands of
government, which always constitutes a small minority of the society?"