Welcome Guest!
 wtr-s
Re: If 40% of Americans paid no federal income tax, how would you sugges  Lawrence A. Rosenwald
 Sep 21, 2008 11:17 PDT

Thanks, Dave, for that fascinating message.
A couple of quick responses.
1) You write,

2) But we need to have something to say when we encounter an activist in
the
non-income-tax-paying 40%. It may be difficult to recruit someone into
war
tax resistance when most of our literature concerns a tax that a lot of
folks
aren't paying anymore (and most of the rest concerns the phone tax, which
is
also losing its relevance as people switch to cell phones & internet
telephony & such).
Absolutely; this is a very important point. (By the way: hasn't the
phone tax been abolished?)

The Obama/McCain tax plans are still just campaign-related proposals that
may
never be enacted, but it still might be a good idea for war tax resisters
consider ways of refining their messages so as to take some of the
emphasis
off of the federal income tax and instead cover the whole spectrum of ways
people fund the government and its policies.
That too is a very important point. But it leaves me uncertain; what do
you see as being included in "the whole spectrum of ways people fund the
government and its policies," and which aspects of that funding do you see
as subject to choice and resistance, either implicit or implicit?
Best, Larry