Welcome Guest!
 wtr-s
Re: Should war tax resisters support the Religious Freedom Peace Tax Fun  Martin Bates
 Oct 09, 2008 09:15 PDT

Dave,

    Thanks for sending this, I plan on reading more of the links. I've
wondered some of the same questions you pose. It has always seemed to me
that the good thing about this is that it may allow some WTRs to stop their
resistance, however, I suspect that many will continue.

    It has bothered me that this really doesn't have any affect on the
military budget, and I rejoice that people could then finally vote with
their tax dollars. I suspect that a better move would be for the Department
of Peace, and the study and practice of nonviolence so eventually the
weapons would be obsolete. I suspect we wouldn't mind paying if we knew
there was a department of the army that looked like CPT and there were
several layers of nonviolent responst to conflict before a weapon were ever
considered.   Just some of my thoughts.

    We're very excited about Heartland Speaks which begins Monday the 13th.
Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

Peace,

Martin

Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2008 11:07 AM
Subject: [wtr-s] Should war tax resisters support the Religious Freedom
Peace Tax Fund A

Should war tax resisters support the Religious Freedom Peace Tax Fund Act?
The question sounds like a no-brainer. But it's actually more complicated
than it may seem at first.

Over the last four days, I've been posting an analysis of the Religious
Freedom Peace Tax Fund Act at my blog (The Picket Line). It's a little
long
to post the whole thing here, but I'll include a summary with links that
you
can follow if you're interested:

Part 1: http://localhost/Experiment/index.php?entry=06Oct08

If the Religious Freedom Peace Tax Fund Act became law, would
the government be forced to spend less on the military?

Part 2: http://localhost/Experiment/index.php?entry=07Oct08

If the Religious Freedom Peace Tax Fund Act became law, might
people who pay into its "Peace Tax Fund" be enabling the government
to spend even *more* taxpayer dollars on the military?

Part 3: http://localhost/Experiment/index.php?entry=08Oct08

What effect would the Religious Freedom Peace Tax Fund Act have
on the war tax resistance movement and on the public perception
of war tax resisters?

Part 4: http://localhost/Experiment/index.php?entry=09Oct08

Are there alternatives to the Religious Freedom Peace Tax Fund
Act that have fewer drawbacks?

-- David Gross
   http://sniggle.net/Experiment - The Picket Line

NOTE: opinions expressed in posts to wtr-s are those of the author and do
not express the position of the National War Tax Resistance Coordinating
Committee, which maintains this list solely for the purpose of providing a
public forum for war tax resisters and friends.

7:19 PM