Welcome Guest!
 wtr-s
Re: good news from eugene  nwt-@nwtrcc.org
 Nov 13, 2008 21:42 PST

I won't name names yet as the people did not make this a public
announcement, but for those of you who heard of the couple who got slapped
with $10,000 frivolous fine ($5,000 each) it was just lifted. Apparently
the Taxpayer Advocate Office helped. For those of you who don't know, this
was a first-time resistance of a small amount of a larger tax bill. Honest
return filed with a protest letter and partial payment. The filers were
warned they might get a fine, so they re-filed and paid the amount
refused a few months later and shortly after got a letter telling them
they each owed $5,000 as a frivolous penalty. They protested and finally
heard this quite unjustly applied fine was released. Whew. We'll try to
add more on the NWTRCC website about this frivolous business as we learn
it. It appears to be applied very inconsistently and incorrectly.
Ruth