Welcome Guest!
 wtr-s
RE: Banks  Ginny Schneider
 Nov 01, 2010 12:50 PST

Aside from the Federal Reserve tie, imagine how the banks are investing your money! Likely these investments uphold the military-industrial complex -- just what you are working to overcome. Credit Unions and newer, socially-responsible bank like institutions might be better alternatives even while you wait for the IRS to seize your money from an account.

In Peace,

Ginny

Abolishing privately financed elections "is a reform that makes other reforms possible."

                                                                                                -- Marty Jezer

If You Think Money Is Speech, Try Paying Your Visa Bill With an Essay

                                                                                               -- Bruce, Michigan

We usually think of arms control or deterrence as having failed if war breaks out; and so it has, but it can fail worse if we give up at that point.

                                                                                                -- Thomas C. Schelling

 To: wtr-@igc.topica.com
From: sn-@gobrainstorm.net
Subject: Re: [wtr-s] Banks
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 16:46:20 -0600

Thank You Chris, I have to agree. Keeping small amounts in the bank is
so much easier to pay bills....all the bills are connected to banks. I
mean, living without a bank, is like living without a car. Almost
impossible. That's how the FEDS want it.
I don't keep all my money in the bank, and enjoy having cash on
hand.............
Heather

On 10/31/2010 1:34 PM, Chris Toussaint wrote:
 To use a war analogy, in this case for nonviolent resistance, one must sometimes go behind enemy lines, use their infrastructure to infect transformational memes into the dominant society, get a hold of their "ammunition" and use it against them. We are a minority, guerillas who must be grounded in integrity and street smarts. After all, if we are forced to live in poverty and/or keep our cash in our mattresses, haven't we compromised ourselves beyond the point of sacrifice, where we become ineffective in changing the greater community toward peace?

In my case, using the banks to keep small amounts of money to pay by check and debit card, makes my life easier and I am more productive in the work I do on behalf of creating a more just and sustainable society. Its not hard to change banks periodically if you want to do that to keep the IRS from pilfering your accounts since they are often months and even years behind in their collection process. Just make sure you have a good reason to change banks, other than evasion of IRS collections, like the bank service fees are too high or their percentages of interest are no longer high enough or you have moved, etc.

I am aware of the Federal Reserve fiat money situation and yes, in an ideal world, "Stop Using Banks" and trading in silver and gold coins might be preferred. But this discussion needs to focus more on strategies for keeping our money out of the reaches of the IRS and not on just blanket statements that are not always practical to most WTRs.
Chris

On Oct 31, 2010, at 12:05 PM, Randy Belmont wrote:

I am very puzzled why WTR‚s use banks. Most banks are members of the
Federal Reserve Banking System and if they are not members they are
tributaries, in that they must follow all regulations and are beholding
to the Fed. Why would anyone who refuses to voluntarily fund war do
business with these people? The funding of America‚s empirical wars is
brought about through the fiat money creation machine known as the
Federal Reserve.
Stealing ones money from a bank account is the simplest and easiest
strategy for the IRS. I read over and over the same scenario of funds
being stolen from bank accounts. Yet, people continue to patronize these
institutions. There is no law requiring one to use banks or keep money
deposited in the bank. Please STOP USING BANKS!

NOTE: opinions expressed in posts to wtr-s are those of the author and do not express the position of the National War Tax Resistance Coordinating Committee (www.nwtrcc.org), which maintains this list solely for the purpose of providing a public forum for war tax resisters and friends.