Welcome Guest!
 wtr-s
Re: re-building a movement - constituencies1 - contra Visalli  Lawrence A. Rosenwald
 Jul 21, 2011 04:43 PDT
I'd like to respond briefly to Ed's beautiful meditation on the value of
being "of two minds" and of "diverse opinion," of attending to the
concrete situation, of what he calls his "Bogartian outlook." It's like
Camus' remark, that the chief political goal is being with the victims,
not the executioners, and Camus is someone I admire, as is Simone Weil, as
is Ed.
But it evokes a question: if one isn't what Ed calls "a radical
pacifist" (I myself am), what justifies doing war tax resistance? And if
one is of two minds, supports some military actions, opposes others, what
results does that have in how one practices wtr?   Refuse the taxes one
year and not the next?   Refuse a different percentage, to fund the
intervention in Libya but not the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq? At some
point doing wtr is about writing or not writing a check (to use an
old-fashioned formulation), about calculating an amount to refuse or to
pay.
Best, Larry